Rendang a Golden Taste from Indonesia
Rendang! the most popular delicious dish originated from Indonesia. Rendang has a combination between spicy, rich, and creamy beef stew that can make us want to eat more and more.
Rendang has so many variants based on the place of origin. This is the reason why there are so many recipes of rendang that has different combination of ingredients, seasonings and cooking techniques between one and the other. And the most popular rendang is the one that originated from west sumatera. Yeeey it is beef rendang,
and another fact that I absolutely have to share is : it only gets better by time.
So, let’s see how to cook those special dish
- 1 1/2 pound boneless beff (cut into cubes)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 pounded lemongrass
- 1 tumeric leaf
- 1,5 liter of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lime leaves
- 1 cup toated coconut (serundeng)
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Palm sugar to taste
- 6 cloves shallots
- 15 cloves garlics
- 5 candlenuts
- 1 inch ginger
- 10 red chilied, seeded
- 1 inch galangal, pounded
- Chop the spice paste into smaller, then blend it in food processor until soft.
- Heat the oil in a stew pan, add the ground spice, bay leaves, lime leaves, fry them in medium heat until aromatic.
- Add the cubes beef and pounded lemongrass, cook until the cubes beef change color (about 1 minute).
- Add the coconut milk, tamarind juice, water and keep simmer in medium heat. don’t forget to stir them frequently until the meat is almost cooked.
- Add the toasted coconut, palm sugar, keep stirring.
- Turn the heat to low, cover it. keep cook with low heat until the gravy has dried up and the meat turn ito really tender (about 1- 2 hours).
- Add salt and more sugar to taste.
- Serve with steamed rice dan save for overnight (it becomes more delicious after recook for several times).
Tips and Tricks
- To prepare the toated coconut (serundeng), just add the grated coconut in to a dry pan and stir continuously with low heat until they turn into golden browwn.
- For a better taste don’t use instant coconut milk, make it from a fresh grated coconut.
- Coat the meat before cooking by using a little pineapple so the meat becomes soft faster.
Rendang not only made from meat, but also can made from jengkol. If you want to know, also read resep rendang jengkol.